Nancy Kitchens[red _hor se*m chsi :com]
Club meetings are the 4th Tuesday of every month at 1:00pm
MADISON CROSS ROADS
The Madison Cross Roads club in Toney was first organized in 1920 as the Toney Home Demonstration Club. It is not known how many ladies started this club but the first recorded count of membership was 1944 with 33 members.
Some of the projects that the club became involved in included a county radio show, letters to soldiers, pillowcases and towels made for the Russian Relief, food boxes which were sent overseas, supported the Red Cross and gave to the Community Chest.
The club’s membership peaked in 1951 at a total of 60 members, which then began a slow decline as the climate of the country changed and more women began working outside the home. But these women still remained active gathering used garments for Bryce Hospital, garments for orphans, adopting a local blind girl, being school lunchroom aids, helping a little league ball team and providing aid to the Home Economics Department at Sparkman High School.
Of course, these ladies know who to have fun, too. Through the years, several of the events held were Christmas parties, White Elephant sales, picnics, “Tacky” Party and Luncheon, 4-H Dress Revue and many more.
Through the years, many club awards were received, such as Club of the Year, Outstanding Achievement in the Alabama 4-H Volunteer Leader Program and, in 1981, they received a Certificate for Distinguished Service to Madison County from the Madison County Commission. They are currently involved in supporting the Madison Cross Roads Elementary School, the New Sharon Senior Center and the Toney and Bobo Volunteer Fire Departments.